Our Family Photo

Our Family Photo

Thursday, June 7, 2012

     We have this beat up looking birdhouse but its been the home of the violet green swallow since I have been in Alaska.  Every year birdie parents seek the safety of it to raise their young.  I was able to capture both mom and dad in this one picture.
     Last year we were shocked to come home and see the bird house up ended and hanging by one screw to the connecting L bracket to the tree.  Apparently a bear wanted to get the young out of the bird house, climbed the tree and when the bird house tipped he fell, landing on my flower pot ( and destroying it) and leaving.  We thought that it was destroyed as the house was disconnected from the base and put it in the trash, it was then that I heard the little "cheeping" of baby birds.  I put on some rubber gloves and sure enough there were three babies in there, we were doubtful that they would survive.  We got the house back together, with my rubber gloves got the babies safely back in the house and attached it to the tree again and waited.  To our surprise and delight the parents came back and started to feed and take care of the babies.
     I was happy to see this year that they are willing to give that house a go again and with any luck will be the proud parents of baby birdies again.

No comments: